|1999 CQF||2000 CF||2007 CQF||2014 CQF|
I originally wrote this at about 1 PM AT today but forgot to click Post until now. I’m also behind on the stream so no spoilers.
I’m honestly not sure if I’m going to continue trying to do predictions past this year simply because, despite increased access, I actually have watched fewer hockey games this season than ever before, including just two and a half Hitmen games (stupid Daylight Savings, stupid Neulion). A quick boo at the stats shows:
- The Hitmen and Ice both have strong offences, but Calgary looks slightly deeper and has Son of Tambo scoring all the goals.
- The Hitmen have a far stronger possession game, allowing the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference despite suspect goaltending (though Brendan Burke has been better since arriving in Calgary, with a .918 in 19 GP).
- Head to head, Calgary dominated possession despite only winning four of seven.
- The Hitmen have better special teams, but have been shorthanded way more often, to a frankly absurd degree. Not that we haven’t seen this movie before. Lots.
- Both teams are pretty good at home, but the Hitmen are equally good on the road, while the Ice are pretty mediocre.
Add it all up, and I’ve got Hitmen in six. Game one goes tonight at the ‘Dome, game two Sunday
afternoon evening (stupid three time zone difference), Kootenay Sucks, Go Hitmen.